View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I wouldn't mind us going after Stalberg but we need to understand that there are no guarantees when it comes to him being all that we want, or expect, him to be. There was a reason why Toronto had no problem in dumping him and there's a reason why his cap-hit is below $1mil. Yes, he has thrived on Chicago and carved out kind of a Ryan Jones role there adding speed, energy and a decent goal scoring their lineup but he is surrounded by quality players and a good system.

He won't fix this team but he might be able to add something to the mix which we are low on in terms of energy and secondary scoring. That said, I think it is equally possible that hfboards will call for his head after half a season...
The biggest thing I notice when guys like Stalberg, and others, are brought up, everyone treats them as the old "He won't fix thing", but he doesn't have to. The Oilers have holes in the roster, but you don't need guys to "fix" the holes, you need them to fill them.

You have to go to talent in the top-6, and top-9 to an extent frankly, so you don't "need" (though you could use them, don't get me wrong) all world players to fill these holes. Complimentary players who will fill this holes and fit these roles will make this team SO much better it's ridiculous. All I do is look at Ryan Malone or Chris Kunitz in Pitt, not all world, just fitting a role and making an impact.

The Oilers need that kind of fit as much as "major talent upgrade" or some such thing. On the blueline, I'll agree they need more then just "guys to play roles", but up front the Oilers don't need as much help as some make it out to seem, frankly.