View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Eh, I wouldn't say everything else. It's hard to compare exactly, but I don't see a reason to think Smith is better than Cashman at goal scoring. I remember seeing a seventieslord post awhile ago that showed that Alf Smith was as far behind Frank McGee percentage-wise as John Tonelli was behind Mike Bossy - and I don't think anyone thinks McGee is as good as Bossy.
Most of Smith's career was spent as a secondary scorer, so I would agree that he is similar to Cashman in that regard, however, Smith did have his one big season that he lead his league in scoring. Sure it was a small and weak league, but that's still better than anything Cashman ever did.

Moreover, Smith has the big x-factor in my eyes. What happened right after his bis season in which he led his league in scoring? He was banned from Canadian amateur hockey for accepting a cash bonus for winning a Lacrosse championship. So, he just establishes his offensive peak, and he gets banished for the remainder of his prime. From age 24 to 31, he gets to waste away without getting to build upon that goal-scoring title.

How exactly do we handle a situation like that? Like the War? As many have said here before - it's exactly how I was sold on the wartime players - unless a World War breaks out during out ATD season, those players won't be leaving to fight in it. Well, same goes for Smith here - it's not like he'll get suspended for accepting a gift.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote