Old
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Heeter is putting up similar numbers in the ahl as Salak did and is currently younger. No reason for the flyers to consider him unless something has really changed. And I really don't see how you don't consider age a facter especially when we are talking 3+ years here (not a couple as you stated). And that's Salak who is the closest in age of the bunch to Eriksson. Wesslau started putting up decent numbers at 26 before that he was mediocre. Same can be said for Rautio (mediocre before age 25).

If choosing between them I think I'll choose the one who put up the best average numbers over the last couple years and did so starting from the age of 20 compared to mid 20's for the others. I mean doesn't it mean more when a 2nd year junior tears up a league compared to a vet/overager? Goalies, like d-men, are notorious for taking a while to mature and perfect their game so why not take the guy who's significantly younger. 5+ years is a long time (talking about Wesslau and Rautio as I already stated why i wouldnt be interested in Salak).

Salak also stated last year that he didn't want to be in the AHL and with those AHL numbers he's def not an NHL goalie, again unless something has changed from last year.

You can call 5 years age difference in goalies insignificant if you want but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I think you may be misunderstanding my point. I am not saying I'd RATHER have these other guys, I'm just saying that if we are looking at SEL goalies to sign, they should be in the conversation too. There is no reason to look at Eriksson's stats and say he would be a good backup, look at the stats of the three other guys in the same league that are in the same ballpark (if not identical or better) and say they are not worth it. It seems odd that taking a risk on a 22-23 year old goalie is a good idea, but taking a risk on a 26-27 year old goalie with similar stats is a bad idea. As I said earlier, that argument seems like a thinly veiled attempt to justify the interest in Eriksson without falling into the category of people I was referring to in my original point.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote