View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
I agree with this comment 100% As a hockey fan, I feel hockey is the greatest sport around. But in US markets that are saturated with more "traditional" US sports, hockey has a difficult time and no doubt in my mind hockey will not thrive in Seattle, as compared to what a team would do in QC.
Not at all trying to be confrontational...but could you please name some US markets that are "saturated" with more "traditional" US sports where hockey is having a difficult time?

Referencing the attendance numbers posted on espn.com: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Of the top 10 teams in the U.S. for attendance (Chicago, Minnesota, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Nashville, Boston, Detroit, & San Jose), all but BUF, NSH, and SJ have all 4 major sports represented in their city. Buffalo has football as well, and San Jose is only 49 minutes from San Francisco, where the other sports are well represented.

All of those teams are averaging 100% capacity per game. Some are over 100%. It does not appear, even a little, that these teams are suffering from being in markets where other major leagues are firmly entrenched.

I'm of the opinion that the only time teams truly suffer in a sports market with a ton of options is when there are some teams in the region that are succeeding while others are faltering. Except for the diehards...no one likes to throw their money at a losing effort. Everyone wants a winner.