Thread: Doug Weight #39
View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, and Gagner may all surpass Doug Weight as players in their own right, and I think we could easily see a scenario where some of their numbers get retired in the distant future. In my opinion, you have to win something to merit getting your number retired or else be a uniquely special player. I don't see Weight being that caliber of player, although he is the closest the team has come to that type of player in many years.
Extremely doubtful. I think posters prospect love is clouding any possible "realistic" vision of the future.

To put Doug Weight's numbers into perspective, he scored 1033 pts in 1238 games. There are only 67 NHL players in history who have ever scored more. Think about that. The next closest active player is Ray Whitney who is at 1015 pts and you know how long Whitney has been playing? Jason Arnott who was a first line centre for most of his career will finish (unless he returns to the NHL) at 938 pts. Marian Hossa and Elias are next at 927 and 923 pts respectively. Still more than 100 pts away.

Taylor Hall has scored 121 pts in 153 games. Assuming he scores at a 1.0 ppg for the rest of his career, he needs to score 912 pts in 912 games. He will reach it in twelve MORE seasons. He will be 33 years old by then, and he has to avoid injuries, and any dip in production. Extremely doubtful considering Hall's injury history.

Sam Gagner? Surely you must be joking. Sam is a career 0.62 ppg. He is currently at 248 pts, and only 785 pts to go. At his current pace, he will reach 1033 pts... in 16 more seasons. Good luck with that.

Justin Schultz? Paajarvi? Oh Come on now, they're simply not a ppg players.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote