Thread: Doug Weight #39
View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Lowe and Weight were really good players but not HOF and not rafter material although if Hamilton is up there then Lowe should be too and perhaps Symth due to thier commitment to the organization.

If I had my choice, none of the 3 should be up there but a honorable wall designation is a great idea.
I agree with the honorable wall designation for Smyth and Weight.

Anderson was the fourth highest in team scoring at 906 pts. Smyth is the next highest scoring forward in team history at 603 pts but playing 881 games is huge. That's a lot of games in an Oiler uniform. Thats second most Oiler games in Oiler history, ahead even of Messier at 851 games. I wonder if the combination of points and games played is enough.

Doug Weight comes next after Smyth, scoring 577 pts but played in only 588 Oiler games (same as Ales Hemsky currently) tied for 14th overall. I don't think he gets in.

Kevin Lowe has the greatest chance of having his jersey lifted to the rafters. He scored 383 points in an Oiler uniform, good for 11th in all time points, 2nd most amongst Oiler defensemen but leads all Oiler players ever with 1037 games played. That IS astronomical, Smyth is second at 881 games which is not that close. In fact, I'm not sure I can see anyone playing more than 1037 games played in an Oiler uniform... ever again, in his era of free agency.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote