View Single Post
03-25-2013, 12:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
I went with the is close, but the Islanders had a lot more toughness than the Oilers (led by Clark Gillies and Fightin' Billy Smith) and 19 series wins in a row is amazing. You say Wayne Gretzky is the all-time leader in goals, assists, and points, I say that Mike Bossy was the better pure goal scorer (whose career was cut short at age 30 by a bad back).

That Islander dynasty also didn't have much turnover on the roster---16 players (plus Lorne Henning, a player and later an assistant coach) were part of all four championships plus the team that lost to the Oilers in 1984.
If by, "Better pure goal scorer," you mean scoring less goals, as well as (far) less assists to make up for the perceived discrepancy of "goal pureness", you are correct. It's funny how Wayne gets punished for scoring 120+ assists per year to go along with his already higher GPG average (than Bossy's) at the time. I guess if Wayne had only been scoring 60 assists a year like Bossy, then he would have been the better "pure goal scorer"! Fact of the matter is, Gretzky got to 200 goals, 300 goals, 400 goals, and 500 goals all in less games than Bossy (or anyone else for that matter).

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote