View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Anaheim wouldn't be involved if they weren't going to make a legit pitch, and didn't really want him, and I think you're underrating the draw Anaheim could have. The Ducks have a history of dipping into the NCAA to find undrafted players, and they've had good success doing it. Burke apparently loves the kid, and was going hard after him in Toronto.

Most people don't appreciate the youth aspect for Anaheim. They have a terrific young core already in the NHL. Perry and Getzlaf are 27. Fowler is 21. Palmieri, Holland, Etem, Sbisa, Ryan, Cogliano, Beleskey, Bonino. This is a young team that is coming of age, and they have a bright future ahead of them. On top of that you have an impressive prospect pool, with some real talent on its way. All of this, and a team that is currently one of the best in the league. I think you'd need to try real hard to not see the promise of a good future, and this with a team that has been very successful since the 04-05 lockout.

Then there's the management aspect. The players absolutely rave about management in Anaheim. There seems to be a real feeling that the organization takes care of their own, and they care about the community around them. Since the Samueli's bought the team, they've bought up the ice rinks and put together hockey programs, and school programs, and they're getting real results. Hockey is on the rise here.

And finally, there's just the appeal of living in California, especially when you're well off financially.

I suspect Detroit has the inside track, but to imply DeKeyser has no real reason to give them serious consideration is just not true. He has many reasons to consider Anaheim, and I don't necessarily think that Detroit can claim to have the same reasons. Different ones, yes, but I don't believe anyone can say Detroit has everything Anaheim can offer.
I wasn't saying there's nothing good about Anaheim. I was saying there's nothing especially good for a young defenseman about Anaheim. It looks like Anaheim's D pool is solid and it might not be the easiest place for DeKeyser to find a place to play.

Honestly, I think it's more about Burke's influence than it is about Anaheim's appeal. If things had been a little different, we'd be talking about Toronto and not Anaheim.