View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
The 5 on 5 offense has been bad for the entire season. You acting like it just happened last night because they were going out of their way to "shield" Bryz is farcical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've noticed a trend recently; the Flyers often aren't forechecking very hard and they fail to establish pressure as a result. Of course, when they do, and the defensemen get active, bad things can occur since they aren't all that suited for such things.

Anyways, watch how often the Flyers skate in, pass the puck to the wing or center at the blue line, and then try to just pass back. It regularly doesn't work and the drive ends quickly. They aren't dumping the puck in and committing deep nearly as much as they used to. I suspect Lavi is trying to get the team to play more conservatively/defensively...probably because Bryz needs to be shielded as much as possible. It's affecting the offense quite badly; I don't think Lavi really knows how to reconcile the two coaching philosophies, and neither do the players.

It reminds me of the end of Boudreau's tenure. It was ineffective. And the root here: goaltending that simply cannot be relied upon.
Bryz is not playing well enough to justify his contract and a buyout should be on the table this offseason or next, but he is not the root cause of the Flyer's problems. The team in front of him has given up a ridiculous number of odd man rushes this year due to an over aggressive forecheck and bad pinches, and continually struggles to get the puck out of their own zone, often giving up juicy plays in the slot or wide open shots from the point that can be deflected.

The even strength offense has not been there all year long, and that has nothing to do with the goalie. Their system for getting the puck out and thru the neutral zone is a total mess.