View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
So let me get this straight, for you, a guy like Lidstrom ranks so high not just based on points but mainly based on his defensive play which really is somewhat hard to accurately reflect with stats.
Now you want to move Zubov above a guy like Savard solely based on points? Even though it's pretty universially accepted that Zubov was below average defensively for a chunk of his career and above average at best the rest.
Savard, who was no slouch offensively I might add, was extremely good defensively.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm once again having a little trouble following the logic behind your methods of evaluating players.
Anyone seen those goalposts? I coulda swore they were here a second ago
Sure Zubov wasn't a shutdown D but calling him simply above average isn't true either.

Savard was better defensively but offesnively he never wowed anyone consistently, part due to injury and part due to team amakeup perhaps.

But alot of his praise is because of his team as well so it cuts both ways.

Both guys never won a Norris and I think it's fair to say that they are pretty comparable.

Even in the higher svoring 70's how many times does Savard break into the top 5 Dman scoring? Top 10?

Even with less teams and the disparity between the rich and the poor in the early 70's, Zubov offense blows Savard out of the water.

IMO one guy gets way easier treatment than the other guy and he isn't the only one in the 70's either.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote