View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
You continuously make the assumption that because people don't agree with you they haven't seen a player play. I have seen Murphy in person a couple times and have indeed watched a great deal of both of these players.

They both have a lot of work to do in terms of their own zone, but Murphy doesn't have a lot of the gifts in terms of size that Sproul does.

Murphy is still as likely to beat his own team as he is to help win the game. That is the problem in and of itself and one that pro coaches are unlikely to put up with.

You point out the Russia game and that is exactly the point. He similarly had a bunch of points in the U-18 championships but was on ice for 4 of the 5 goals including the winner for team USA.

There are some Wings fans that think Sproul will be a top pairing guy, I doubt it. They will likely hide him on a second pairing unless his development takes off even more, still possible with a lot of his gifts. He gets better defensively almost every time I have seen him. He is making strides there, Murphy looks very similar to the guy that was drafted.
I highly doubt that. Even if we accept you watched every single one of Plymouth and Sault St. Marie's games when you lived in the area, that's a maximum of 5 games each year, and I'm pretty sure Rogers and whoever the broadcaster is for Plymouth is have not shared rights every year every game. So that's 2-3 games, and no games this year. For Sproul, it's a maximum of 6 games and thats if Plymouths broadcaster shares rights with the Soo. And agian, this is assuming you watched every single game.

So even if you have watched them, your viewing size is very limited, and certainly not enough to make a judgement like you make.

As the other poster has mentioned, Sprouls size is an invalid argument since Sproul plays like he's Murphy's size. His larger size and lack of physical play means he's actually easier to get around because larger players can't turn as quick. Sproul doesn't have good stick work so he's easier to stick lift. Murphy has work to do defensively but Sproul has significantly more. Sproul is no better than Murphy defensively at 17, and Sproul is 20. I doubt Sproul will be able to play in the NHL next year, Murphy is almost guarenteed to be in the NHL next season, and if his time in the NHL this season is any indication, he'll be playing 17-18 minutes a game.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote