View Single Post
Old
12-24-2003, 02:39 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
The only thing Alex is not doing is putting the puck in the net. I'm serious about that.
He leads the team in assists and controls the puck along the boards in the offensive zone and behind the net BETTER than any other Ranger.

He's always overhandled the puck. He's always had his fair share of giveaways. This is nothing new.

With the exception of Holik he is our strongest forward and does not shy away from physical contact.

I think his shooting percentage is less than 50 percent of what it was in Pittsburgh. This ain't because he's lazy. I'm at a loss to explain it. But it's not due to a lack of effort.
Agreed. He's had plenty of good scoring chances, he just cant finish. Espn Classic showed the Lemieux comeback game a few weeks ago, and at the time, Kovalev was leading Pittsburgh in scoring. He scored a vintage Kovalev goal during that game. Blasted a wrister from the top of the circle over the goalie's shoulder, off the crossbar and in. I mean this was one of the hardest wrist shots I've ever seen, and he labeled it perfectly. Which got me thinking...why the **** cant he do that now?! Its not a matter of finding the right linemates or getting more ice time or putting out a better effort. Its a matter of him getting his scoring confidence back. Nobody knows why he cant put it in, probably not even he knows, but I think once he gets his confidence back and starts scoring, this team will start winning many more games. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.