View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFingerDiscount View Post
I don't doubt that they'd like to build a team that can run over other clubs and be a perennial contender. Who wouldn't want that? If that's what they want though, they need to hire or foster talent at all levels of the organization. To me, the most telling thing that this organization appears to rarely have other organizations trying to hire our guys away, or we that we rarely hear of front office management from Colorado going on to do great things.

In the past five years, it's looking like Quennville and Quinn are going to be the only two Colorado Avalanche alumni who go on to bigger things. Cloutier is helping to preside over a tire fire in Calgary, Lefebvre is coaching junior. Kono, Deadmarsh, etc all pretty much out of the league in terms of management. Is Gigure even in Dallas anymore?

Meanwhile we promoted Sacco, a middling AHL coach, hired Chennyworth, who is going about .500 with the best AHL team we've iced in years, and promoted a previously unknown accountant to GM.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a supporter of a lot of the hockey moves we've made, but the people in the Avs organization who are hired rather than drafted do not to appear to be the best they could be. Or they all started out in the snack bar and got promoted to management eventually.
Exactly!

This only goes further to prove my point.

Check it out, how do you build a perennial contender? The reason why it's somewhat difficult to accumulate so many strong assets is that the first guy you pick with your top 5 pick, he eventually, sooner rather than later, helps your team win. So to 'counter that' so-to-speak, you need one of two things: terrible goaltending (Budaj+Raycroft | Budaj+Elliott) or a terrible defense (this year's corps). Add to that a coach that has never had a winning record as a coach (even as an assistant in the AHL) and you have a winning formula...for losing.

Who knows why they hired Chynoweth to coach the Monsters. Didn't they re-sign Lefebvre but then he decided to leave to go coach the Bulldogs so they had to scramble to promote Army to be Sacco's assistant and then subsequently hired Chynoweth from the Islanders? That also doesn't mean that he'll be there next year either.

I think it all stems from Lacroix's biggest weakness and that's his general view on the importance of coaching. I've stated many times that I really believe our Avs core group from 1995 to 2003 should have won FOUR championships instead of TWO if it weren't for his stubbornness.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the TWO though especially when you consider:
Buffalo - 0
Columbus - 0
Florida - 0
Minnesota - 0
Nashville - 0
Ottawa - 0 [not counting back to ancient times]
Phoenix - 0
San Jose - 0
St-Louis - 0
Vancouver - 0
Washington - 0
Winnipeg - 0

That's 12 teams and countless fans that have NEVER experienced a Stanley Cup win. We've had it twice and I'm pretty grateful for that. It doesn't mean I'll always agree with what Pierre Lacroix does but I'll take him guiding this team rather than a lot of other GMs with 'sometimes meddling' ownership groups.