View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 02:10 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Wasn't a HUGE fan of the trades then, and I'm still not.

Sure they got fair value for both Mike Richards and Jeff Carter but those trades:

1.) Exposed how classless of an organization the Philadelphia Flyers really were. Now I'm not one to use that term very liberally, but what kind of team signs two players on lifetime contracts at a discount rate, and then turns around and trades them away -- one of those players to a perennial bottom feeder at that.

2.) Set them back several years. Sure the pieces they got back (mostly Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voráček) have been productive offensively but one must remember that both Richards and Carter were bred in the Philadelphia Flyers system and knew it inside out and their former captain, Richards in particular was the embodiment of prototypical "Flyers hockey." Furthermore, they are significantly better two-way players who would contribute vastly to a team lacking in team defensive structure.

The Philadelphia Flyers had just made Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals one season earlier, and after one 2nd round defeat you decide to blow up the core of your team and move in an entirely different direction? Sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
I love the Flyers but I agree with this completely.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote