View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 05:27 AM
wunderpanda
Bandwagon Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Can we have a discussion about Boucher and Ruff's strengths and weaknesses?

I don't really know much about either but I know Ruff is on Team Canada's coaching staff for both the Vancouver and likely the Sochi Olympics while AV isn't really in consideration. Isn't that a sign about what the general hockey community thinks about the two?
I can give you a disgruntled Sabre fan synopsis on Ruff

-when he was first named Sabres coach, he took over a team and prospect pool put together by Muckler and featured Hasek in goal. By 2001 most of those guys were gone with no goalie ready to step in for Hasek... they missed the playoffs until after the lockout

-since that lockout, the team had some success with Miller in goal, for all the talk of Ruff being a defensive coach, the last 10 years have seen Miller near the top of the league in saves and the Sabres near the top in shots allowed.

-personal assumption of why Ruff lasted as long as he did... the unstable ownership. An owner indicted, a league take over followed by disinterested owner. He lasted only 2 years with Pegula, almost to the day actually.

Ruff also the the genius ideas of using Afinogenov and Satan as grinders, he even tried using Grigorenko in that role this year. He can't coach skilled players.