View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
Phoenix, Dallas, Anahiem, Colorado, NJ Devils, NY Islanders and Miami. My point was that the NHL is traditionally in last place of the four major sports. No doubt many cities with all four major sports can ice a hockey team that sells out its barn. But the NHL is usually the team with the least room for error. Heck, there was a year or two when the Coyotes out drew the Hawks and the Bruins when those teams were especially bad. Having a competitive NBA team puts more stress on the local NHL team unless the NHL team is doing well.

For all their problems, the Coyotes have more sellouts this year than the Suns, and no one would question Phoenix has established itself as a strong NBA city over the years.

Well...let's just look at some of those. NJ and NYI aren't totally surprising. They're both sitting behind the Rangers in hockey, and are in a market with 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, and 2 MLB teams. Never mind MLS. Miami, Phoenix, and Dallas...I'll give you those. But they all have something in common too.

I agree. NHL teams generally have the least margin for error...and it seems to be exacerbated in areas where hockey doesn't have deep roots.