View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 09:20 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
I never understood renting, unless you have to. Buying a house or condo is the best bet. I'd rather build up my equity after mortgage payments than pay someone else's mortgage.
I don't want the 30 year commitment to a mortgage, and the thought of being tied down to one place. Not to mention being responsible for almost everything that goes wrong with the house, all the outdoor maintenance, the taxes, HOA dues, coming up with a massive downpayment that basically just disappears, and no amenities.

I like the convenience of an apartment/condo, personally, and the ability to get up and go anywhere in a year or so almost at any time, if not sooner. I'd really love to know how much people actually get back in their investment of a home, when you factor in the cost of all the maintenance and taxes. I know there is more to it than that, but I know the in laws themselves have probably spent $20K in maintenance the last 12 months, on a 250K home, that they have had since the late 80s.

Me personally, I'd rather have a little more cash freed up, while having a saving intact, to get out and do stuff... but to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The thing is that rent is so high in a lot of places that it's about the same, if not more, than the mortgage for a bunch of foreclosed homes, so really the only question in my head is if I'm committed to staying in the area for the next 15+ years.

Going to be giving it a lot of thought the next couple weeks....
Housing costs down here are absurdly cheap. Go check out what you can get for $250K on Trulia and you'll probably break your monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
But that awesome apartment that has the roof terrace. I want to sleep on the roof when I come down.
Moving their in late October or early November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i.e. like a trainer, that sort of stuff? or in the business side of things?
Yeah, that kind of stuff. I start after I get back from Miami on my NASM Certified Personal Trainer courses. Will have that completed and should have a job by October at a local gym just training whoever. Then I'm going to start completing my classes for a sports science degree, and just debating if I want to focus on strength and conditioning or athletic training. Although they're kind of similar, but that's something I want to discuss with a counselor before I decide. Should be able to complete the courses I need for that in about a calendar year.