View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
I'm not sure why we are putting so much stock into these all-star votes... Ken Daneyko never received an all-star vote (according to the awards page) and he was picked in the 400's in the ATD. Guy Carbonneau never received an all-star vote at centre, despite winning the Selke. These guys did their job, and did it well, and no-one questions their placement in the ATD, despite their all-star voting records.

...and, in no way am I implying I think Woit is better then Daneyko or Carbonneau
Comparing apples to oranges here.

Definitely not fair talking about Carbonneau, who is a top-10 defensive player of all-time, not noted for his offence whatsoever. Defensive forwards get Selke votes, and in the rare case they are just as good offensively as defensively, they get all-star votes. Carbonneau was a defensive stalwart, could be the best of his timeframe, he receives recognition in other categories to make up for what he doesn't possess offensively. Woit didn't receive any recognition besides an All-Star game in the NHL.

Danyeko, I do not believe should go as early as he does. However, he was a punishing defenseman who was solid in his own zone and was a #2-#3 defenseman on three championship teams.

Unfortunately there really isn't a metric or statistic that can solidify Woit as an ATD-worthy spare, I had a few defensemen left on my shortlist that are all substantially better than Woit.