2013-14 Flyers Overhaul
View Single Post
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Jack de la Hoya
Join Date: Jun 2011
Might as well resurrect this thread...
Jack de la Hoya's (Updated) Offseason plan:
- Flip Fedotenko for the best available draft pick between now and the trade deadline.
- If healthy and willing to waive his NMC, shop Briere.
- Re-sign Gagne @ $2.5 for 2 years
- Re-sign RFAs Rinaldo and Harry Z.
- draft BPA (projected 4th overall = A. Barkov)
- Buyout Briere (if not previously traded)
- Trade Couturier + Mezsaros for Myers + L. Adam
- Trade 2014 2nd + conditional pick for B. Bishop (RFA) [or send an offer sheet]
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Alexander Barkov ($1.700m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Luke Adam ($0.875m) /
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.851m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.936m) /
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Ben Bishop ($1.500m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,400,381; BONUSES: $2,562,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,462,119
- Roll something like this line-up for 40 games and reevaluate. At that point, if we're in serious contention, explore prospects / picks for rentals ($2.4 million in cap space + Prongers LTIR)
- At the end of the season, make a decision re: Bryzgalov v. Bishop
- If Bryzgalov is retained, use Timonen's money to resign Giroux, etc.
EDIT: This set-up would give Myers the opportunty to focus on rediscovering the offensive game he showed in his rookie year, while also freeing Coburn from puck-moving responsibilities. It would also give us a big-time shot on the PP, and retained the benefits of having 2 second lines. Talbot and Read seem like good partners for Barkov on this two-way 3rd line (though I could see Gagne dropping depending on other moves). Laughton gets accustomed to the NHL game in a similar role to what Couturier had last year, though there may still be a log-jam at center long-term.
Assuming Timonen retires after next season, Coburn-Myers becomes the default top-pair. At that point, you sign a PMD to pair with Schenn, unless Gostisbehere is ready for the jump in 2014-2015.
Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-26-2013 at
Jack de la Hoya
View Public Profile
Jack de la Hoya's albums
Find More Posts by Jack de la Hoya