View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Never once disputed any of that. No one goes right from Midget Major to DI. You also rarely will suddenly jump on to the radar your final year if you haven't been already to at least some extent. It does happen, but it's rare. There are a number of Midget Major players that haven't been drafted prior to their final Midget year that do get tendered or drafted during that final year, however, especially in the NAHL. Happens a lot. USHL it happens less, but still happens. What I did say, however, is those committed players still return to play for their Midget Major teams in their final year and often go on to junior after that. Not been my experience at all. So to say no one playing their final Midget Major year is going anywhere like you originally did was false. You better clarified that fact in your last post so I see where you're coming from now.

I still stand by the fact that I'd tell any 17-18 year old/senior in high school to play Midget Major over Junior B, costs/being able to afford to play notwithstanding. You're still going to be seen by way more people and if you don't get any sniffs at all you always have Junior B to fall back on the year after that once your Midget eligibility is up. You're still giving yourself the best option to possibly get a look and the hockey is still better and more competitive. If nothing comes of it, then you always have Junior B to fall back on if that's truly your ceiling the year after that when you can no longer play youth hockey. Again, all of this is the cost of playing notwithstanding, though playing Junior B in the States most of the time isn't cheap, either, especially when you account for billeting costs on top of having to pay to play and other expenses depending on the organization.

None of this is a slight on Junior B at all, either. That's a great avenue for a lot of players and is a way to move your way up to NCAA D-III, ACHA, and in some cases up to Junior A even as someone who's over high school age. I spent some time at that level, myself.
I'd never slight anyone's playing level, ever. Players top at where they top out, no shame whatever that level may be.

My personal opinion, as a parent of a player is this; Top 6 AAA, okay let's keep the dream alive, bottom 6- we aren't made of money. Playing Jrs. while in High School, keep the dream alive. Player MM senior year or sometimes beyond- let's get real find a school you like and maybe they have an ACHA team.

Some of the College recruiting camps do a good job laying that out. Red Berenson hasn't spoken with you somewhere along the way by the time you are a Soph/Jr in High School, don't sit by the phone, D1 isn't calling. Not playing Jr.s in High School? DIII is unlikely. The rest, pick a good school, play ACHA if you want to keep playing.

Mostly you and I are in agreement.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote