View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
There's also different Division I expectations. If you're talking the top 10, 15 schools perennially, sure, you probably know by the time you're a junior in high school or that following summer that you're going to be going in that direction. However, there are a lot of Division I programs outside of those where Freshmen are often 19, 20, even 21 years old and guys going to those schools don't play their first Junior A action until after they've graduated high school, many times still being Midget Majors their final year. Even the top college commitments often are 19 as Freshmen as most places want a year or two of junior first. 18 year old true freshmen are the exception, not the norm, in hockey. A lot of guys commonly start as 19 and 20 year old freshman and still get a full four-year ride to a Division I school, which is ultimately the goal for most.

At the end of the day it's all about what your realistic expectations are and what each individual is looking to do. It's a lot for a kid and a family to decide. Very unlike any other sport. Everyone has a different opinion and philosophy and that's great.

The Division III realm is another world altogether as far as what's "normal" for a starting age and where you had to have played prior at a certain age to make it. It's a very wide spectrum.
I do not see evidence of that. Of the 40-50 D1 players from Illinois, I've now checked 7 (from the Atlantic Div-not powerhouses), none played MM in their final year of eligibility.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote