View Single Post
03-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Big Phil
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I admit, I don't know anything about Makarov's presence in the dressing room; Fetisov and Larionov were the leaders of that squad. Never heard anything but praise for his character, though. I have also witnessed Messier's "leadership" in Vancouver (you are centering Bure and Mogilny and what?) and his second stint in New York, when NYR repeatedly failed to make playoffs year after year. Usually leadership increases with age ("elder statesmen"), while in Messier's case it was the opposite. I'd definitely put Makarov above Messier and somewhere around Maurice Richard.
I don't care much for Messier post-1997 either, but ignoring his career in the previous 18 years is shortchanging him. That's a little bit of a stretch putting Makarov not only ahead of the Moose but at Richard's level. Messier and Richard we saw first hand as two of the greatest players of all-time and two incredibly clutch players that it always seems never failed to show up. You are flirting with the idea of putting Makarov as a top 10 player when the truth is he didn't age terribly well in the grand scheme of things.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote