View Single Post
03-26-2013, 03:44 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I have been a fan since the mid 1960's and Kovalev is one of my all-time favorites, along with Park, Routsalinen, Beck, Goyette (the guy who first made me understand hockey could be beautiful to watch), and Lundqvist.

Oops. I left out Orr. Not Colton.
Phil Goyette! Ever since he was here centering the Goyette/Bob Nevin/Donnie Marshall line I've had a thing for slick passing playmaking centers.

Though his heyday here was in the late 60s, the Rangers brought him back from I think Buffalo in 72 after Ratelle broke his ankle and he was with the team when they lost to the Bruins in the finals. He had nothing left by then.

Would love to see more about the 79 team: what a fascinating group: JD, the Maloneys, the Nilsson/Hedberg/Hickey line, Espo, Lucien Deblois, Mike McKuen (spelling wrong here), Bobby Sheehan coming out nowhere to get hot in the playoffs, Ron Duguay before he began looking like an aged Rod Stewart, Dave Farrish, Carol Vadnais.....know I'm leaving people out off the top of my head: Donnie Murdoch? Greg Polis?

Getting to the cup finals, winning game 1 in Montreal, up 2-0 early in game 2 and then, as JD said, not only not winning another game, but not winning another period, or even another shift the entire series. But what an interesting group of guys

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote