View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
You do remember all the insane losing streaks, and how he handled Duchene last year right? Hes also been doing the whole 'play Hunwick' top minutes when hes in the lineup thing for a while now.
And you do remember that Duchene had no good linemates to speak of, battled injuries the entire season, and was so thoroughly dissatisfied with his performance he worked out this offseason with Sidney Crosby? I don't see how Sacco really "mishandled" him. I don't think putting him on the wing and occasionally scratching the kid necessarily counts. He was playing poorly for a number of reasons, but I don't think Sacco was one of them.

Yes, his man-crush on Hunwick is exasperating, but I suppose in Sacco's defense, Hunwick was a healthy scratch for most of last season, then played reasonably well in relief. I just wish management would get rid of the guy already.

Quote:
Duchene should have been tried at wing long before he was, then when he finally tried it. He kept him there long after it had proven not to work.
So you're saying Sacco simply missed the timetable upon which moving Duchene to wing would work, even though his performance issues had nothing whatsoever to do with what position he was playing?

Quote:
Sacco's roster decisions have always been a point of contention. It's nothing new... We have a better roster this year than we did last year, and it was quite obvious that the run we went on in the second half came largely due to Downie and McGinn being brought in, as we were struggling seriously before that.
That's arguable. Ryan O'Byrne this year is not at all the same guy as Ryan O'Byrne last year. And Zanon, well...I'd say he alone automatically makes this year's roster worse than last year's. You also have to factor in that this year we played a good chunk of the season with no Downie and no O'Reilly. Those are two key assets from last season.

Quote:
The season before last was much like this one, we stayed close to .500 and then collapsed in the last quarter of the season.

Sacco's handling of the roster, and his favor towards grinders, is my biggest beef with him. I've also seen other people have serious problems with how he lacks the ability to adjust his game-plan in games as well.
On this we are in full agreement.

Quote:
I'm not versed enough in systems and hockey strategy to make that judgement but there are plenty of people who are and can see even more consistent problems with the way he does things as a whole.

The other major problem with him I have is his lack of emotion after losses, he deflects accountability constantly and is maddeningly vanilla and inconsistent. His personality has some really odd similarities to how we see this team play on a regular basis.

Sacco is our #1 problem and there isn't anything left to defend him on IMO. I'd be really scared to trade any significant player (Stastny/O'Reilly) at this point without seeing a new coach behind the bench.

The roster needs help but we should not be a bottom 3 team.
True...I'm not really standing here saying the Avs absolutely made the right decision retaining Sacco (obviously they did not), but I can see why they wanted to see what he might do with an improved roster. Unfortunately they failed to deliver on that improved roster.

Remember they kinda did make a coaching change--they replaced both of Sacco's assistants. I guess they were hoping a new dynamic would change things, but then the lockout happened so these guys had little time to work together, rushed through camp, and then were told that they wouldn't have the best player from last season on the roster. Then the injuries started piling up and...there you have it.

Management probably didn't feel they could pull the trigger right then and there, and remember the team did start playing better once Sacco had no choice but to use Barrie in a major role.

Thing is...when do you fire Sacco? I'm just not sure the timing was ever right. Early on, the roster wasn't even complete. Then, injuries struck. Then, the team starting playing better. Then, the bottom fell out, by which time it was too late.