View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
mandiblesofdoom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Yeah, I think it's important to recognize that for us to go anywhere in the playoffs we're going to need Richy to be a part of it. So, while right now to give ourselves a better chance to win it would make sense to limit Richy, I think that would actually be counterproductive in the long run. As a coach you don't run your team like every game is game 7 of a playoff series, you can't. If you did that would mean never playing your backup goalie and barely playing your bottom line/pairing (yeah sometimes we kind of do that anyway, but in a game seven situation you do it even moreso. who can forget McD playing like 58 minutes to Bickels like 3 and change in that OT game). So, point is that what's best for the long term isn't what's best in the short term when it comes to where and how much to play Richy. We have to get him to play his way out of it, hard as that is to watch.
This is where we disagree. Richards can play his way out of it w/fewer top minutes. And without our prime acquisition, Mr. Nash.

It may be that nothing will help Richards. In that case, playing him as #1 w/ our #1 talent is a mistake.

Or it may be that with time and games Richards will get it together. In this case, again, playing him as our #1 w/our #1 talent on his wing is a mistake.

Your argument is that the only way Richards will get it together is to play with Nash and pretend to be a #1.

I don't buy it. The price is too high and the need for this course is not clear.

Richards might be finished as a top talent for all we know. Letting him be the anchor to pull down the whole season is bad judgment by the coach, imo.