View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I assume that you mean major-league professional hockey?
Yes I believe thats what the op's stating and he's correct of course. Alton preceded Marson & Riley of the Washington Capitals, O'Ree the only other player of African American descent to have played "pro" previously in the NHL, however, there was a minor pro player, Art Dorrington who preceded White, along with Herb & Ossie Carnegie with Manny McIntyre who formed a line in Quebec called the "Black Aces" under Imlach back in the 50's, QSHL, Beliveau of course on that team (btw, you buy that Aces Club Jacket from ebbetts? Some Woodpecker did, last one, and I want it).

I dont know how you'd go about calling those guys on the Aces "amateurs" as all were paid, but certainly the Q' not exactly "major league". Indeed, Carnegie was offered a Contract with the Rangers however they wanted to assign him to the minors at a salary far less than what he was earning in PQ. As mentioned on another thread, that QSHL was paying more for talent than most NHL clubs of the era, Beliveau making $20,000 a year, more than Gordie Howe or Rocket Richard in the NHL. Going back even further to the 1900's, you had a guy by the name of Hipple "Hippo" Galloway out of Woodstock Ontario, a star on that towns team in the COHL. He went to a career as a "Barnstormer", highly paid Baseball & Hockey player playing exhibition matches all over the US & Canada. Huh? How'd ya'll like a handle like that Taco? Hipple.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote