View Single Post
Old
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
'Likely getting' doesnt show any work, nor does the fact that gilmour had no offensive defenseman in toronto, while fedorov had two on his team, i mean you just said offense is contributed greatly from the defenseman didnt you? Im pretty sure Fedorov was given plenty of ice time in the games yzerman missed, having yzerman score or assist on 20 out of yur 120 points doesnt hurt either, add kozlov-cicarelli-coffey-lidstrom, yeah that does a good job of explaining fedorov's 1 freak season.
The problem with the idea of Gilmour getting 120 in Detroit is that Sheppard played with Yzerman/Primeau. After that, there was nobody with 40+ except Fedorov. Gilmour is a 25-30 goal guy. Do you think he scores 56 like Fedorov did? No way. Gilmour would not have had the finishers to put up 120. Nor would he have played as much. I don't have the ice time numbers for that season, but generally a team in Toronto's situation will play their single star center more than a team in Detroit's situation. Carolina's situation is a good example; With just Erik Staal, he was averaging around 22 minutes per game the past couple of seasons. Then Jordan showed up, and his TOI dropped to about 20:30. Toronto didn't really have an established #2 center; they had three guys for their #2 and #3 spots in John Cullen, Mike Eastwood, and Peter Zezel who had a combined total of 148GP. Detroit lost Yzerman, but at the same time Primeau also finally established himself as a capable scorer. So a lot of Yzerman's lost minutes went right to Primeau by way of Primeau taking the #2 center slot behind Fedorov. Fedorov probably saw a small increase; nothing like the 60-90 second jump Staal has.

Take away some of Gilmour's time at ES and on the PP, and his numbers start to go down. Despite injury, Yzerman still posted a better PPG, and almost had an equal APG despite not having the same level of linemates. So Yzerman definitely had the better offensive season and would be viewed as the better option on, say, the PP. Add in net-front guy Ciccarelli and 50-goal scorer Sheppard, and where's Gilmour? On the second unit, with maybe Kozlov and Primeau. The first unit would have had Chiasson/Coffey or Lidstrom/Coffey, with the second unit having Mark Howe and the remainder of Chiasson/Lidstrom.

I don't see how Gilmour is in a better situation in Detroit than in Toronto for personally scoring points. The fact that two solid PP units existed would reduce his PPTOI regardless of whichever unit he was on.

To recap: worse wingers, less PP time, less overall time... I don't see where Gilmour adds ten points if he were swapped with Fedorov. More than likely he drops ten or twenty.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote