View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 03:48 AM
jekoh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
My philosophy is generally to let the player decide. If Heatly or Wolski want to play for Germany or Poland, I am not opposed. However if I were a German fan I would not want Heatley to play for my team because he really has no connection to Germany. That is my personal opinion. Wolski on the other hand I would be happy to have a Polish player seeing as his parents are Polish and he was born there.
Heatley's mother is German and he was born there too. Sounds like his connection to Germany is the same as Wolski's to Poland.

Quote:
The US and Canada share a pretty integrated development system in the sport so I think I don't consider either country a foreign development system for either team.
Then it means every NA player automatically fulfills the 2-year requirement and should only need to apply for citizenship in the other country after a few years there to be eligible for the national team.

Quote:
Also the only way a Canadian should be able to get into the German national team is either if he were already eligible for German citizenship or otherwise I believe the residency requirement is 8 years.
It's obviously easier to become a citizen in some countries than in others, but once a player gets his citizenship and fulfills the 2-year requirement, he's eligible. It's really none of the IIHF's business how he got that citizenship.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote