View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I thought it was pretty rare in the O6 to use the dump and chase tactics... Isnt that mainly a product of the talent drain eras?
I only caught the tail end of the O6 era as a little kid, so I'm hardly an expert, but as I understand it, dump and chase/forechecking remained "part of the playbook" of NHL clubs since its introduction in the 1930's. Some lines/teams did it more than others, but there are definitely a number of O6ers who have specific reputations as great forecheckers - Ullman, Pulford, Metz, Klukay, etc. - and dump-ins pretty much go hand-in-hand with forechecking. I think it's safe to assume that yes, O6 teams were dumping the puck into the zone when it suited them.

Before forward passing was allowed in the offensive zone, NHL teams likely played a style similar to that of the 1970's Soviet teams, with lots of lateral movement and drop passing, and then sudden bursts forward by puckcarriers when they got open ice. This style likely found its highest form in the Bread Line circa 1928 when the Rangers won their first Cup. The 1930 - 35 period is sort of a question mark in terms of the prevailing style, though it appears that heavy trapping was en vogue at least during the playoffs. 1935 brought the first really aggressive forechecking scheme, and after two straight years of victory for this system, NHL teams seem to have begun moving more in this direction - that is, playing a more north-south style of hockey where forward movement would simply follow a dump if the blueline couldn't be gained by the puckcarrier on the initial move through the neutral zone.

At the high point of the O6 era there was probably somewhat less dump-and-chase being played at least in Montreal and Detroit simply because these teams had a huge amount of talent, but it appears to have remained a persistent tactic in the NHL since its introduction.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote