View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
There are a couple of things that are new for Fasth in how we play/Tort's system.

The biggest change is when you go from forechecking to back checking.

In Europe almost without exception, and when playing for many teams in the NHL (but I think they are getting fewer and fewer), you go in on the forecheck and if the puck is reversed, passed D to D or whatever, you fall back and another forward takes over and puts pressure on the new puck holder. But, for Torts& Sullivan, when you when you fall back they -- never -- want you to turn around skating backwards and form a wall in the neutral zone, instead they want you to skate "with" the other team heading up ice. Never skating back wards always skating forward even if it means not facing the puck. The disadvantage is that we do not get those turnovers in the neutral zone that trapping teams lived on and its harder for our D's to step up, on the other hand the advantage is that we always got speed on the back check and can cut down on odd man rushes etc.

Sullivan and Torts are on you instantly if you turn around and skates back wards in the netural zone. Higgins commented on that his first month's in NY.

This will be news for Fasth, and something -- if given a couple of month's -- he could pinn down in the AHL. But if we want to be able to use him right away, playing in the AHL or not won't help him much. And I don't think he would be hurt in any way by playing less etc in the NHL (I mean, he has played a ton in the SEL the last 3 years, he is what 21 y/o etc, its not like keeping Kreider on a 4th).