View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Isn't the whole point of dealing Gaborik to make sure we have the cap space to get our important RFAs signed this off-season? Even if the right deal is on the table, I don't see the Rangers wanting to add Vanek's $7+ hit.

Not to mention if you're the Sabres, why do you do that swap? It's not like they're going to add a significant prospect in the deal, the value between Gabs and Vanek is quite even I'd say.

Doesn't seem like a reasonable train of thought, but that could just be me.
No, I completely agree.

The Rangers can take back SOME salary for Gabs, but a move to get the same cap hit back, makes no sense. They need to be freeing up at least a couple million under the cap - preferably more like $3.5-5MM.

Also, I can't see why Buffalo or Winnipeg or some of the other teams that have been mentioned would do the deal. Any team that is young and still building or has realized that they need to blow up the current roster and start over should not be acquiring a 30+ year old on a $7.5MM AAV contract with a year left. I mean, I guess, I can MAYBE see the Peg doing it to give their fans a playoff run, but that would be way short-sighted given where that club is in its development - and it's not like they need to build casual fan engagement there. A team like Buffalo makes absolutely no sense.

When Gabby gets moved, it will be to a team with an older - or at least well established - core that's looking to max out their Cup chances the next 2 years. Detroit and Vancouver in particular make by far the most sense to me.