View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
In a more restrictive cap era where people are still apparently spending like morons, you have to get value out of good, cheap talent. Trading for a guy like Kulikov means you gotta pay him that much sooner.

If this team were very close to contending, sure, I could see it. But not when the team is still rebuilding, the salary cap becomes an issue as early as 2014, and the prospect base is weak. I want to see a GOOD year out of this team before they start taking shortcuts.

I'd be willing to bet you 9 times out of 10 any time a team has traded a high first-rounder for a player, they soon regretted it.
You'll be paying the top 3 pick 3-3.775/yr already. Kulikov will most likely garner similar to EJ on his next RFA deal. probably 4-4.5m is my guess depending on the term. not a ton of savings between either option.

Again, I see the team much closer to the end of a rebuild than most apparently.

I'm not advocating trading the 1st for 1 player unless that player is Elite. I'm advocating adding multiple pieces, 1 of which for sure fills a glaring need while the others either fill a need as well, or add to bulking up the base of young cheaper talent/prospects.