View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Please stop misinterpreting what I said (this goes to everyone in this thread).

I only said that, because Sproul doesn't play a physical game, or use his size effectively, it can not be used as a reason that he is better than Murphy. Notice that I am NOT saying that Murphy is better than Sproul. Arguing that Sproul is better than Murphy because he has 5' over him is not valid. That's all I'm saying.

There ARE examples of defensemen who did not use their size and did not reach their full potential. The current Tyler Myers. Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Zach Bogosian for the past 4 years. And there ARE examples of defenseman who did, such as the current Zach Bogosian. So it can be learned.

But I'm talking about right now, at this moment.
Its not so much you who I have a problem with in your thread. The only thing I dont really agree with is saying Tyler Myers or someone else who doesnt use their size a whole lot is actually a worse dman or would be better if they were shorter. They could've been better if they were using their size more, but they still have advantages like reach, more body to take up shooting lanes and block shots and are heavier when theyre pinning you on the boards amongst other things.

Having that size gives you more potential to add a physical dimension (which Sproul does have a bit of, hes not a complete waste of size). A lot of times that size usually sacrifices skating ability and I would agree with that but that isnt close to the case for Sproul. You've gotta realize Sproul had a really late and big growth spurt, he was drafted to the OHL at 5'11. Hes gonig to need more time to adjust to his huge frame and add weight. Murphy has been 5'11 forever and was an early maturer.

newfy is online now   Reply With Quote