View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Evansville and Fort Wayne bolted to the ECHL when they had the chance to do it with no legal strings attached after the conclusion of last season. I think it is safe to say that the Komets ownership saw the writing on the wall, as it were, for the CHL. The Komets model is built on winning-even against lesser competition. Moving to the ECHL did not enhance their chances of winning. It only gave them membership in the only AA league which will survive. Perceived necessity dictated that move.

I agree with "CrazyEddie20"'s list of probable CHL to ECHL franchises.

At some point-likely in the near future-the owners of viable CHL franchises make the move to the ECHL. They'll let their lawyers deal with the sham of a corporation known as Global, or perhaps, Global will just let them go for a reasonable settlement amount.

It's too bad that the economics of AA hockey have deteriorated to the point that there are probably only 20 or so viable markets in the entire country. The ECHL has some basket cases, so while the CHL needs the ECHL more than the ECHL needs the CHL, the ECHL has more than a few leaks in its foundation. The addition of a few strong franchises certainly will benefit the ECHL.

I think that the absorption of 4-6 CHL franchises into the ECHL is possible for the 2013-14 season and inevitable for the 2014-15 season. When the CHL feels the need to pursue an absurdity like Brampton, then it's truly "desperation time".

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote