View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

vCash: 500
Jacques Strap of the Edmonton Journal caught up with the new Oilers GM today as he hustled out of a sketchy-looking club... at noon.

Strap: What does the signing of Oshie mean for his trade value?

Look, we're not in a huge rush to change the entire structure of the team. Re-signing Oshie made sense for us: he's still young, he's having a good season, and I think his best years are ahead of him. That being said, so do many other teams. We'll listen to anyone who calls, but I don't see a huge need to start pulling the trigger. We're still in the play-off picture, we've got 2 first round picks coming up, and scoring isn't a problem for us. If we can re-sign the bulk of our pending FAs to deals here in Edmonton, we'll be in okay shape.

Strap: So where are your problems?

I wouldn't say we have any glaring problems, but everyone in Edmonton knows we've had some trouble in our own end. I'd like to see us add another high-quality or, at the very least, solid 4th or 5th defenceman, and it's no secret that I'm looking to find a goalie for the future. I'd also like to bolster our 3rd forward line. In the perfect world, we trim some payroll, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

Strap: Any comments about the goalie deal that fell through?

Nothing "fell through:" we just couldn't come to an agreement. We'll go back to the drawing table with that team if we have to because they were open and professional the entire way.

Strap: So do you have a "trade block?"

Well, we'd be willing to move one of our first round picks if we need to. Any of our pending FAs are obviously going to be a bit easier to move. I'd say I'm protective of our top prospects, but we have some depth there, and we have some guys that are going to turn into solid NHL'ers some day that could be included in a deal. Like I said, though, if we end the season without any big moves and wait for free agency, I'm not panicking. We'll pull the trigger when the timing is right.

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote