View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
The one thing that scares me is that the flyers have proved that they cannot groom/develop a defenseman properly in how many years? Of course I don't think they have ever had the chance to develop a Seth Jones type (would probably go straight into the NHL), but even developing players like Pulock or Zadorav makes me cringe a little knowing how impatient the fans and organization are.
everyone always says this, but if a kid is getting playing time then he's going to develop as he would in any other circumstance. any issues with the flyers developing of defensemen would be more exploited in the case of a defenseman taken in later rounds that would require more coaching and time in the AHL. But Jones isn't that. He's a top tier talent.

plus what examples do you have of this? the flyers haven't taken a defenseman in the 1st round since Sbisa and he played immediately after being drafted and looked on his way to developing into a top 4 defenseman until being traded to the ducks, where he's well liked and looks to be well on that path.

list of defensemen taken by the flyers in the 1st round since 2000:
2001-Jeff Woywitka - shouldn't have been taken as high as he was. was a reach then and has never really panned out
2002 - Joni Pitkanen - looked good early on, and was a legit top 4 defenseman here before being traded after the lost season. has become a steady cog in the carolina defense.
2009 - Luca Sbisa - played immediately following his draft year, and seemed to be a steal for the flyers. was traded to the ducks and has become a good young 2 way defenseman with plenty of room to grow.

i fail to see any evidence that the flyers wouldn't be able to "develop" a defenseman who's projected to be the best player in the draft and will most definitely be on the opening night roster.
defenseman are more of an unknown. defenseman taken in lower rounds are so much of a crapshoot that they're hard to project. you really can't blame the flyers for not being able to develop defenseman when we rarely take defenseman with our top picks and when there are so few very good defensemen in the league.

let's look at defenseman who were top 5 picks since, say, 2007:
2012:
Ryan Murray: injury problems this year. can still be a VERY good player
Griffin Reinhart: had a down season. still too early to tell.
morgan reilly: had a monster year. could be a great player

2011:
Adam Larsson: played immediately. some growing pains, but still projects to be a top pairing defenseman.

2010:
Erik Gudbranson: has become a top pairing defenseman already. very steady and will only get better

2009:
Victor Hedman: is the #1 defenseman on his team. growing pains early but has really started to come into his own.

2008:
Drew Doughty: one of the best defenseman in the league.
Alex Pietrangelo: one of the best defenseman in the league.
Luke Schenn: started out tremendously, had some growing pains, but has become a top 4 defenseman here and will still get better.

2007:
Thomas Hickey: most likely a bust.
Karl Alzner: probably not worthy of his draft status, but a good young defenseman nonetheless. can probably still get better.

so one probable bust in the top 5 since 2007. i don't think our ability to develop a defenseman really applies in the case of Seth Jones.

Last edited by orange is better: 03-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.