Old
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
OK so here's my editorial on Gorges.

He is a great teammate to have around and a good #4-5 defenceman. I am one of his biggest fan and he's a warrior especially in the big games. His contract isnt a problem as long as we do not give him extra responsabilities or I should say extra visibility.

Many people interpret his leadership qualities into captaincy but I don't think he should become the next captain because it is just putting unnecessary additionnal weight on his shoulder. His flaws would be exposed in the media night in/night out and we'd have polls asking « Is Gorges the all-time worst captain of the Montreal Canadiens? » because of his limited skillset. His salary, with the cap coming down, would also play against him like it did for Brisebois. The only thing Brisebois did wrong in his first stint with Montréal was earning too much money.

We would run Gorges out of town like we did with Brisebois. It would be a mistake.

He's a wonderful assistant captain. Just give the C to Markov if Gionta happen to leave.
Not sure Brisebois is relevant.

His problem wasn't money but being asked to be a #1 or 2 when he should have been a #3 or 4(at least until he was 27-28). They put him in a bad spot by trading Chelios then Schneider then Desjardins, making him the de-facto #1 or 2 guy at a young age.