View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
i got a quick question tho.. bc i feel the coach isnt the issue either, but how is it a overly defensive system when our d pinch in the offensive zone like no other, dz's bee joining the rush and basically playing a rover, the d closes the gap in the neutral zone... and our long stretch passes.. i've been around the game way to long and i dont think its an overly defensive system.. maybe at times it lacks creativity and torts wont tweak it.. but why should he.. hes won a cup coached 400 wins and 30 all time in coaches in NHL history with wins soo why should he have to change his system.. this is the pros they have to buy into it.. i just want to hear an explanation of how we play a defensive system..i am not saying this as a wise guy, wise ass but just want to hear someones analysis of our system throughly.. thanks!
It is overly defensive because we take a conservative approach to almost all situations. Our D joins the rush sometimes but they do not work as hard to keep pucks in at the point as other teams. We back up off the point and allow the breakout instead of risking a possible odd man rush. In the D zone we have no plan to breakout through the middle, ever. We constantly chip the puck out on the boards by design and therefore rarely get good speed with the puck through the neutral zone. In the D zone we pack it in and leave the points open and create the famous six goalie system. All of this leads to minimal puck possession in the neutral zone with speed which is a major factor why we dump and chase.

Also, Torts in his own words is more interested in play away from the puck than play with it. He admits this is what he focuses on and teaches. And then he hopes offense will flow from good defense. That my friend is a defensive system.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote