View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Your sarcasm needs a little work. It's too subtle.

I get your point, but to say the Schenn trade hasn't at least been even is a little crazy. Our defense would be far worse without him.
I wish our defense was far worse, then we'd be in line for the worst record and a guaranteed top 2 pick.

Being serious though, if you're going to give up the better player in a straight-up deal in order to address a "need" the player you're getting back better damn well fill that need well enough to make you a contender. Luke Schenn hasn't done that.

And that isn't me taking a shot @ Luke, it's me taking a shot at Holmgren. He made a move for a "need" in which he was getting terrible value and then he failed to address all the other "needs" (and there were TONS of them) because he was too busy chasing some bat s**t crazy dream moves that had zero chance of realistically happening (Parise + Suter, Weber OS, etc.). And as a result of that, we have a terrible team this year and an asset who is now significantly less valuable than JVR was.

Again, I like Luke Schenn, he's been one of the few bright spots on this team this year, but the bottom line is that we got terrible value for JVR, regardless of the fact that Schenn has been good defensively and has been fun to watch w/ all the hits. Schenn simply doesn't hold equal value to JVR. If you asked Flyers' fans who has played better this year between Schenn and Grossmann, I think the majority of our fans would say Grossmann without hesitation, yet we only had to give up a late 2nd round pick for Grossmann.

Defensemen like Luke Schenn are readily available in this league. Schenn could take the next step forward defensively, but realistically he has little/no offensive upside left. If you can't see that when you watch him play, then IDK what to say.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote