View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
This thread is a great example of people who live with giant cones on their head that prohibit them from paying attention to any team other than the Montreal Canadiens.

There's a little thing on Capgeek called "Comparables" that allows you to input any player and out comes the players compared to them.

On it you will see players like John-Michael Liles, Eric Brewer, Tim Gleason, Tom Gilbert, Filip Kuba, Robyn Regehr, Kyle Quincey, Brooks Orpik, etc. all players who make as much, more or less than Gorges.

Honestly the only guys on the list I'd take over Gorges for sure are Enstrom and Hedman. Maybe Erik Johnson. But Gorges is overpaid?

Even then, one simply has to look at Anton Volchenkov in New Jersey. He's a $4.25M with only one expectation: good defensive play. Gorges is younger and makes less. Volchenkov received his contract on free agency. If that doesn't tell you that Gorges is well priced, you're just ignorant.

Well Said. Gorges doesn't have a particularly generous contract but it's comparable to plenty of other shutdown defenders. Would I rather have Enstrom for that sort of money? Yeah sure, but the only way to get a bargain like that is by drafting someone and gambling on an early contract. Which I'm disappointed we didn't do for Subban. But for every Enstrom and Letang there's a Myers.

As far as Gorges himself goes...He's a safe top 4 guy. He's unexceptional, he doesn't make the players around him better, and is only a top 2 guy when next to someone as good as Subban, but he's a solid compliment.

However I don't want him to be the next captain. He deserves that "A" and is a vocal leader, but making him captain would make him more untouchable than he deserves to be. Not that you need your captain to be your best player, but look at how much harder it gets to move Gionta because of that "C". Gorges is a valuable role player, but he's not a part of the core of this team; he's not Subban or even Markov.

Gorges has been exposed a bit by the more aggressive style the team plays this year, that leads to more openings and less opportunity to sit back and block shots. He hasn't been bad by any means; he's certainly been better than Boullion and Emelin overall, but if anything he's closer to Emelin than Subban. He's had some games where he just can't keep up.