View Single Post
Old
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
To me this team is missing three big pieces. A #1 or potential #1 dman, a elite winger for Giroux, and consistent goaltending. I think as soon as we solve the first problem the rest will fall into place a whole lot better. I really do not think that we are going to be able to acquire the defenseman that we need through trade or through offer sheet so it has to be through the draft. Getting Jones would do wonders for the future of this defense as well as the present. I also think Nurse has the potential for that as well.

If we lose enough games or win the lottery to get Jones things will fall into place. If that happens I would like to see us do something like this. Keep Timonen, Schenn, Grossmann, Jones, and maybe Gus on defense. In this scenario I would hope we get at least a 1st for Coburn if not more and whatever we can get for Mez. We could then sign some vet players, hopefully on short contracts, like Streit and/or Hainsey.

Depending on what happens with Bryz's cap hit the defense could look like this

Streit-Schenn
Timonen-Jones
Grossmann-Gus

or

Streit-Schenn
Timonen-Jones
Grossmann-Hainsey
Gus

Then I would try to trade for Ryan to fill that Elite winger role. Hopefully something around Read + picks or Couts for less picks, which would probably be more likely. Maybe Read + 2014 1st (from Coburn trade) + conditional 2014 2nd that becomes our 2014 1st if we make the cup final or something like that. Otherwise Couts + Coburn or Couts + 2014 1st

So best case scenario

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couts-Laughton
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

or

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Harntell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Laughton-Read
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

As for goaltending trade a second round pick or two for one of the young backups around the league such as Bernier, Bishop, etc..

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couts/Laughton-Laughton/Read
McGinn-Talbot-Rinaldo

Streit-Schenn
Timonen-Jones
Grossmann-Hainsey
Gus

Bernier/Bryz
Ellis

Best case scenario in my mind to balance competing for a cup next year and continuing to develop for the future. Ok, now go ahead and rip it apart