View Single Post
03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Tatar Sauce
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
I don't get it.

I just don't ****ing get it.

Forgive me for getting emo here, but why are other GMs able to make great moves (in a salary-capped league) while Holland sits on his ass for five years because of "high prices"?
..Like you said on the last page of this thread. We're not an Iginla away from being a big name contender. If we were in Boston/Pitts shoes, KH should be making these moves.

But we aren't in their shoes. Are we expected to give up big parts of our future for rentals at this point? The situations are a lot different. Pitt and Boston have relatively young cores compared to us. They can make pushes like this and not be bottom feeders later because the core is locked up.

For Detroit and Holland, in order to stack up the team at the deadline we give up significant assets from the near future in addition to having an old core. Z/D are aging and we're trying to rebuild on the fly.

In Holland's eyes, our options are this. Pull a Shero, stack the team and try to win another cup before many years of Calgary-esque mediocrity OR hold pat with a playoff position for the 22nd straight year AND keep assets to help attempt keep us a playoff team in the future.

I'm not saying either one is the right path. What if Pittsburgh doesn't win the cup? Hilarity ensues, but they're still a contender because of the core. What if Detroit didn't after making similar moves? We're left with nothing to show and less assets to return to contention in the future.