View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

vCash: 500
Aside from all the fantasy lineups (which don't get me wrong I do enjoy viewing) I think the real realistic decisions that need to be made are:

A) Amnesty buyout of Briere. Love the guy and everything he did for the organization but its a terrible contract (and was when we signed it, however a bad year for us and a career year for him will do that) with no production. We can do a lot with $6.5 Mill and the buyout becomes even more necessary with the cap going down.

B) I would shop Scotty L around to see if we couldn't package a deal with him for a quality defenseman to bring in here. I don't have anyone personally in mind I just see a position that we have a lot of talent and depth at (Center) that we historically can easily draft, for a position that we are in dire need of and have never been able to draft (as far back as I can remember) in franchise history. As much as it also pains me to say, if you need to move Matt Read to bring in a blueliner, you have to do it. He has a lot of value with his low salary.

C) We need to use this pick on the best available defensive prospect available in the draft. We've all been saying that for the past X amount of seasons, the time is now.

D) There are a great number of offensive free agents next year with slim pickings at defense. Most of the blueliners available are bandaide stopgap guys that I really have no interest in. If we are to fill the void on the backend its going to have to come through a trade. We have a lot of dead weight coming off the books this year (Shelley, Rusty, Knuble, Foster, Walker, Leighton, Boucher, Gagne, Briere with the amnesty) and there are some quality role forwards out there.

E) We desperately need a back up goalie. I don't think I really need to go on about this.