View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Did Lindros ever have an elite season without Mikael Renberg? He was important enough that after trading him to Tampa Bay, they traded "future superstar" Chris Gratton to get him back. The same Chris Gratton they had just lured away from Tampa a summer earlier.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. You're giving all the credit to Kariya for making Selanne better. Selanne had a pretty big effect on Kariyas scoring.
Quote:
The 1992-93 Jets were a 322-goal team. Their scoring leaders were:

Now we'll set aside the fact that 1992-93 was a much higher scoring season. But let's run some numbers; what if Detroit's lines had the same goals and assists, but were balanced like Winnipeg's?

That comes out like this (I've arranged the players to try and fit closely):
Yzerman/Fedorov/Sheppard 133-168-301
Kozlov/Primeau/Ciccarelli 92-105-197

As you can see, that is a far more unbalanced lineup and a deep team like Detroit would be foolish to use it for any significant period of time.
Are you serious? Now you're just trying to re write history. Again Selanne was placed in an offensive situation because he was one of the best in the league. Fedorov outside of 2 or 3 seasons wasn't as good as Selanne offensively. And Bowmans system is only so much of an excuse. Theres been plauers under him who have flourished offensivley. You told me I shouldn't rate Fedorov based on his skillset and potential. Isn't what you're doing here the exact same thing?

Quote:
No, but Zhamnov was legitimately considered the better player in his career year and the year before. It took Selanne a wild 1995-96 to establish his position as the best player on the Olympic Line, and he was traded during that season.
So one season in his career Zhamnov was maybe Better than Selanne, and he happened to be playing with Selanne.

Quote:
Steve Yzerman didn't outscore Joe Sakic or Jeremy Roenick in 1993-94, but it's universal truth that Yzerman was the better player that season.
That's not a legitamate comparison. Selanne outscored Fedorov when they both played full seasons. Yzerman only played 58 games had a much higher PPG. Again this was Selanne's fifth best season comapred to Fedorovs second best.

Quote:
Shanahan played a far less defensive role, and was typically paired up with either Yzerman or Larionov to give him a playmaker. Fedorov was given Kozlov and Brown, which is a good set of wingers in general, but it's **** for a top line if we're going to try and compare Fedorov's offensive performance to Selanne's. I've said this before. Here's an easy way of checking linemate ability:

Offensively:
Kariya>>Kozlov
Rucchin>Brown

Defensively:
Kariya<Kozlov
Rucchin=Brown

Hmm. I wonder who is more set up to succeed in a comparison of offensive numbers.
So why wouldn't they put Shanahan with Fedorov? He certainly must have been offensively than an aging Yzerman or Larionov. And I'm sure you can tell me how great defensively Yzerman was. Believe it or not but Selanne played with other players than Kariya and Fedorov played with other players than Kozlov (who isn't some scrub) and Brown.

I noticed once again you ignored the longevity argument. That's a pretty big part of rating ones career. And Selanne blows Fedorov out of the water.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote