View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
I truly believe that the difference between the championship teams and the recent teams is the make up and character of the players. Through forty years of coaching and at all the coaching clinics, I have learned that every players has his own quirks on what motivates and what deflates them. It is the coaches job to discover those quirks and tweak his style of coaching to get the most out of each player.

During the good years, the players seemed to thrive on adversity and verbal beatings they were subjected to. Those that did not like the abuse asked out and were traded.

The recent years' players have shown a need to be guided and praised. They want to be treated like everyone else on the team. The few players that accept the coaches' ways have played decent but most of the others have folded or asked out. I also believe that is where the loss of DJ grows in importance. He knew when to pat on the back or kick in the ass.

Boughner's coaching techniques with the Spits would also explain his lack of success in the NHL. The pros are making too much money to be abused. Not sure if anyone remembers Wayne Maxner or not, but he had the same problem with the Red Wings. He had success in Windsor and in London but failed miserably in the NHL. He told me later that he could not change his style and the pros were no accepting of him.
I do remember Max and his love of the 'Gee Gee's'. He was somewhat like Punch was in his hayday with the Leafs.(a dictator) Only similar style I can think of in the NHL now is Tortorella who's days in NY appear to be numbered.

Unfortunately for BB the 'mean grinch act' wears thin after a while in today's hockey. These days it will work more often with the fringe players than with the team as a group. The better players turn a deaf ear and probably just text their agents to get them outta here.

In the case of the Spits, perhaps the owner should tell the coach to ease up a bit on the throttle......