View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Look, I've been Steps cheerleader since he was drafted, but it's far too early to definitively say he's a top-line center. He's had a phenomenal 15 or 20 game stretch, but it's going to take more than that to show he can be a #1C in this league.

4 or 5 years ago, Calgary was the current NYR. They had a long drought of no playoff appearances, then a string of post season showings followed up by summers of "retooling" to fill holes exposed from early playoff exits, and now they're spinning their wheels again. Were their rosters as good on papers as ours? Not quite, but the results were very similar.

I like our youth, but each year we wait for a young guy to fill a hole is another year Lundqvist loses. Another year of wear and tear Cally and Girardi. Another year Richards looks older and slower. Another year of Nash's prime wasted. There's a very big difference between building around those very young players, and looking for those players to fill the holes we need to compete while our real stars are in their prime.
Good points.

When you look at the overall picture the holes have always been there. We have too many 'scorers', we don't have enough scoring!, we have too many grunts, we don't have any toughness!, Our coach is too safe, our coach does not 'let them loose!'. And every year it changes and every year we lose a sprint instead of trying to win the long distance marathon.

It amazes me how FA contracts from the past 10 years still haunt this team, along with the 2003 draft