View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Desharnais is going to be playing top offensive minutes and be relied on as the #1 offensive C for most of the next 4 years (or until Galcheyuk is ready to take over). Regardless of how much credit one feels that particular play deserves, his overall play/production this season and that game leaves something to be concerned going into the future no?

Plekanec is good ~60 point 2way tough minute C but he isn't a true #1 C. Very good #2 C that can give #1C easier matchup.
Eller will probably remain in his #3 checking line C role for the next few years. No one else can play the same role in the organization.
Galchenyuk is the team's biggest hope for a true #1 C in a very long time. If we're lucky, he'll reach that upside sooner than later.

Desharnais is the Habs #1 offensive C. His role is the get points. If he can't, Habs are in trouble long term. I don't see him playing any other role on the team other than this.

Last season, people were on Plekanec's case because he had a weaker than usual season offensively with 52. DD currently on pace for worse production. I don't think it's as 'personal' as you seem to suggest the 'hate' is...
I think management have strongly expressed the fact that there isn't one true top line on this team.
The way they have split up the duties of each line is more about who can handle what.
DD cannot match up versus the opposition's top lines, his line just won't do as good as Plekanec's would, or even Eller. So that leaves DD in a more offensive role. But that doesn't mean things can't change, and I expect them to. Eller is being wasted as a third line center with scrapers, and it would be completely unfair not to give him a chance in a more offensive.
We should consider moving DD to the wing, and letting Eller blossom in a more offensive role.