View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Ginu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Now that's a legitimate opinion.

Do I agree? Not now. First of all, because he has never played on the wing. This would be an experiment that could be tried in the next training camp, for example, but certainly not a few weeks before the playoffs. DD is a playmaker, and most of the time (but not all), these players are best suited at center because they have more time and space to see the ice and do their play.

Second, I think someone has to steal his job for him to lose his spot at center. Eller, while showing good flashes, still has just 4 goals and is often invisible. Galchenyuk is only 19 and is not ready defensively to assume a bigger role. He still looks nervous with the puck sometimes and I think he needs to learn the rope before being granted a bigger role. I think he's used perfectly right now.

In other words, DD's job at center is not in danger yet. I think none of Eller or Galchenyuk have done enough to force that change and make an experiment at such a point in the season.

But who knows, next training camp, I'd be willing to try it.
Good, that's what I want to hear. I agree that the current state of the lineup is such that DD's center ice position is not yet under threat. But i believe at some point it will.

My simple point is this- have you ever heard of a Stanley Cup contender that has had to shelter one of their top two centers? The answer is no. Currently, we do have to shelter him. That's my only concern.