View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 03:57 PM
IranCondraAffair

vCash: 500
Z-bad isn't a top-10 prospect . In the range of 11-20, maybe.

Meanwhile Silfverberg and Lehner shouldn't be that low. The Lehner thing has become especially ridiculous because it seems to have been going on for a while now.

I could understand if the list tended to rate prospects like Kreider and Smith higher than guys with bigger ceilings because they were NHL ready. That's understandable, and if the list were consistent with things like that, I could get behind it more.

In this instance however they have two very similar prospects in Lehner and Markstrom playing similar games in the NHL/AHL at a similar age. For while now though they've rated Markstrom a lot higher without any objective reasons for doing so.

I hate using stats to make arguments but by any objective criteria, Lehner is destroying the opposition in the NHL.This isn't a prospect who has come from nowhere either, Lehner has been good for a while.

I'm not even trying to say Lehner is going to be better than Markstrom. Markstrom has been great on a very bad Florida team, which is an arguably a more difficult task than the one facing Lehner, and I expect a long career for him. I think they're both very good prospects.

With that in mind however, another list has come out and, again, one is rated a lot high than the other. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it anymore either. Is there really 30 better NHL prospects than Lehner right now?

I could understand the argument that when Lehner was drafted he was "less likely to meet his potential". Realistically he was pretty raw. I can't fathom however why two such similar prospects are STILL considered to have different ceilings. Lehner is still listed as a 7.5C and Markstrom is still an 8.5C. By HF's ratings, Lehner, even if he reaches his potential, won't be be able to hold down a starting role. By HF's logic, the best Lehner can hope for is a career like Dwayne Roloson IF he does things right.

Does anyone who watches the NHL seriously believe that the best Lehner can hope for is becoming Martin Gerber?

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote