View Single Post
Old
03-28-2013, 06:51 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, check it out. Don't get me wrong, this defense isn't incredible at moving the puck themselves, but the forward group shares a whole lot of blame. The defense often gets them the puck without issue, and then their choices afterwards are usually fruitless. It probably comes down to the coach for not finding a different way to do business.

In general, their play along the boards in all 3 zones sucks.
Oh I agree to a certain extent about the coaching. Lavy has to find a way to change things up.

I'm not here to completely crap all over the defense either. They're not a bad unit at purely defending. Take for example the penalty kill. We have a top ten unit because these guys don't have to make many decisions once they get the puck on the pk. They can just simply clear it and be done with it. But if you force them to pick their heads up and make a decision with the puck like it is 5 on 5, they struggle and you see turnovers.

I do think the forwards should take some of the blame in the sense that they often get frustrated and stop trying to work the puck out of the zone as a five man unit though. When the breakout starts to breakdown, they'll often just fly the zone and hope for a stretch pass into the neutral zone which only compounds the puck moving issue. There aren't a lot of guys in the league that can consistently make 75-100 foot passes all game, let alone guys like Schenn, Coburn, and Grossman.